Friday, July 8, 2011

School? What school?

Call me a geek, an infidel, a nerd, a homeschooler (which is accurate, but I'm not the stereotypical home educated gal.), or flat out crazy, but I am on the verge of being ready for school to start back up. I have been getting bored during the long days at home so what do I find myself doing? Designing inserts for my binders. Looking up the classes I'm taking next year at my co-op and plugging them into my phone. Thinking about what I will need. Putting together binders as I can. Wondering if the vocab will be tough, or the concepts difficult.

If you don't know, let me give you an image of how my school-for-homeschoolers works.

  1. We sign up for the classes we wish/need to take.
  2. We attend the classes. Each class is once, maybe twice a week.
  3. After hearing the lecture, taking the tests, doing the labs, whatever... we go home and do our homework for the week.
  4. Repeat 2 and 3.
I am so blessed to get to attend this place! None of us are pressured out of talking about God. In fact, it's not unusual to see people bring their guitar or ukulele to play worship music! It's certainly a little sanctuary! Starting to get a picture of why I can't wait for school to start?

As for the actual classes: The vast majority of the classes are taught by parents of the students or graduates. So they know how things work. And while the amount of homework typically reflects their high standards, they do realize that we have other classes to take. It's really not uncommon for the students to adopt their friends' parents (their teachers) as their own, which means we have decent relationships in and out of the classroom. :)

So, while I'm not exactly looking forward to the homework for certain classes...I am ready to get back into a rhythm again. To see my friends every day. ...I am really ready to have to know what day of the week it is. I'm starting to go crazy.

Plus, school starting means that we're getting close to winter! Yay! Even if the cold makes my fingers swell up, fall and winter are still my favorite seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment